Prof. Elias N. K. Sowley
The Academic Quality Assurance Directorate was established in 2008 under the Vice-Chancellor’s Office. Until October 2011, the Unit was known as Quality Assurance Unit (QAU). The establishment of the Unit was informed by the need to ensure quality teaching and learning in the University through improved academic standards, value for money in investment in higher education and improved service delivery. This was to further boost the image of the University within and outside the country as well as make the graduates of the University more competitive in the job market through rigorous training and intellectual development.
Since its establishment in 2008, three Directors have headed the Unit. They are the late Prof. Thomas B. Bayorbor (April 2008 to May 2011), Dr. Elkanah O. Oyetunji (October 2011 to December 2012) and Dr. Elias N. K. Sowley (January 2013 to Date). The past Directors have done their best to strategically position the Unit to achieve its mandate. Apart from trying to consolidate the gains of his predecessors, the current Director is working towards the growth and further advancement of the Directorate.
Major functions and duties of the Directorate include the following:
- Vetting of Examination Results on behalf of Academic Board
- Orientation of Newly Appointed Lecturers
- Students’ Assessment of Courses/Lecturers
- Monitoring of Beginning of Lectures at the various Campuses of the University
- Vetting of Proposals for new programmes to NCTE and NAB for approval and accreditation respectively.
- Investigating Appeals made by Students for alleged involvement in Examination Malpractices
- Other duties assigned by the Vice-Chancellor